3scale is an internet technology company that develops API management software. It was co-founded by Steven Willmott and Martin Tantow in 2007. A public beta began in November 2008. The company’s commercial product was released in March 2009. It sells API Management software called 3scale Connect and a premium version that comes with support and an SLA. A set of 3 additional APIs were released in October 2011.
In April 2012, 3scale released a new version of its API Management Platform & Infrastructure including new features and functionalities such as ActiveDocs that are powered by Swagger (framework developed by Wordnik) and allow API providers to create interactive REST documentation out of the box.
In March 2013, 3scale received $4.2M in funding to add extensions to their management product 
On June 22, 2016, Red Hat announced the purchase of 3scale and the open sourcing of their software.
- CA Technologies
- Amazon Web Services
- ^ Wauters, Robin (2008-11-18). “Manage Your API Infrastructure With 3scale Networks”. TechCrunch. Washington Post. Archived from the original on 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ Schonfeld, Mark (2009-03-12). “3Scale’s API Outsourcing Service Now Out Of Beta”. TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ Gibbs, Mark (2009-04-01). “3scale makes your API cheaper, better!”. Network World. Archived from the original on 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ Lane, Kin (2009-04-01). “API Management Company 3Scale Adds Three APIs of Its Own”. ProgrammableWeb.com. Archived from the original on 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- ^ Wauters, Robin. “Now powering over 100 APIs, 3scale debuts free self-service API management solution”. The Next Web.
- ^ Novet, Jordan (2013-04-24). “3scale gets $4-2m to help companies manage their apis”. Gigaom.
- ^ “Red Hat to Acquire API Management Leader 3scale | Business Wire”. www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- ^ Red Hat acquires API management company 3scale, will open-source the code by Jordan Novet (June 22, 2016)
- Official website
- 3scale Blog